Australia happens to be one of the best countries in the world where you have the opportunity to study and work at the same time. Even as a Nigerian, Ghanaian, etc, you can also take up a part-time work which will help you with the living expenses while studying in Australia.

The country is considered as one of the best in the world which provides citizens and immigrants with a quality lifestyle. They have so many opportunities, security, and other things that can help in providing people dwelling in the area with an excellent quality of life.

Australia has a friendly environment which is inhabited with lots of good people. Apart from being a multicultural country, one of the things we love about them is their wide range of leisure and sports like surf, cricket, kite-surf, rugby, windsurf, golf and more.

Work and Study in Australia

Australia is globally recognized as one of the countries with a quality education. But do you know that working while you study in Australia can go a long way to complement your study and living experience? Luckily, even international students are given equal rights to legally work while studying in Australia.

Work and Study in Australia

Work and Study in Australia.

As an international student in Australia, you are presented with diverse study options, in addition to a large range of courses. They have over 22,000 courses which can be studied in over 1,200 institutions readily available in Australia.

Whether you want to study at the primary level, secondary school, vocational education and training (VET), higher education from English language courses, Australia has provision for it.

Unlike most countries with no provision for international students to study and work, Australia provides all these in addition to quality education and protection, regardless of how long you are studying or what you are studying.


Ideal Work For Students In Australia

work and study in Australia

Just as we mentioned above, there are a large number of job opportunities for international students studying in Australia. Apart from the huge opportunities, some of the jobs have flexible working hours that make it ideal for students. Below is a number of jobs for international students in Australia:

  • Retailing Jobs (Includes boutiques, department stores,  supermarkets, etc).
  • Administration and clerical work.
  • Seasonal works like farming, fruit-picking, etc.
  • Hospitality jobs such as cafes, restaurants, bars, item delivery, etc.
  • Special services like wishing dishes for people, childcare, aged care and cleaning.
  • Tutoring.

Facts About Studying and Working in Australia

Do you know that as an international student you are allowed to work for 20 hours part-time? You can even work full time, but that will be during school breaks. It’s also possible that you can also stay back and continue working and living in Australia even after study. Below are some facts that you need to know about working and studying in Australia:

  • How Many Hours Can I Work?: While you are still studying, you are allowed to work up to 40 hours every two weeks. Meanwhile, you can work for unlimited hours during holiday breaks.
  • Australia’s Minimum wage: Working in Australia entitled to a minimum wage of about $10 to $20 per hour no matter what job you do.
  • Security & Protection: You have the same security and protection both in school and at the workplace as anyone else working in Australia.
  • Will The Government Support Me?: In your journey as a student worker in Australia, you will find help both from the government, your education provider, as well as private organisations.

How To Apply To Work And Study In Australia

The immigration legislation is fast-changing and NBC is not authorised to provide immigration assistance. All we can do is provide you with credible information and a link to where you can get the requirements from the horse’s mouth. If you want to learn how to apply to study and work in Australia, then visit the Australian Immigration website.

Do You Still Want To Continue Working in Australia After You Graduate?

If you are still interested in staying back in Australia to work after you must have graduated, all you will need to do is get a new working visa. You Must have to do that before your student visa expires. Graduated international student are likely eligible for the following:

  • A Post-Study Workstream of the Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485). This is usually accessible if you have completed a Doctoral degree, Masters or a Bachelor degree.
  • If you are seeking approval to stay in Australia as a professional worker, you will have to submit an Expression of Interest which must be done through the Australian Government’s SkillSelect.
  • State and territory government nomination for business and skilled migration.

NB: For further information as pertaining to staying back in Australia to work after you must have graduated, then visit the Department of Home Affairs.

About the author


Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.